Topic: Developing a Driver Safety Program
Presenter: Joe Koehl, BWC
Motor Vehicle Crashes are the leading cause of workplace fatalities, accounting for 24% of fatalities in 2018. Pedestrian vehicle and non-roadway motor vehicle crashes will add another 10% for a total of 34% of all workplace fatalities. If you have one employee who drives for work on Ohio roadways, this presentation applies to you. So, what can employers do? Joe Koehl, will discuss OSHA’s “Guidelines for Employers to Reduce Motor Vehicle Crashes”. Employers can use this 10-step program to develop or enhance their Fleet/Driver Safety Program. The program focuses on sound management principles applicable to all industries. It is not intended to be a vehicle regulatory (DOT) presentation.
Bio: Joe Koehl is a Loss Prevention Supervisor at the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, Division of Safety and Hygiene. Joe has a Master’s Degree in Safety from West Virginia University and over 30 years of safety experience in transportation, manufacturing and workers’ compensation. Joe has taught Defensive Driving through the National Safety Council and Coaching Systems LLC – Coaching the Experienced Driver. In addition he has a Class B CDL.