Construction Worker Demographics in the U.S.
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for construction workers in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 767,992 construction workers currently employed in the United States.
- 6.2% of all construction workers are women, while 93.8% are men.
- The average age of an employed construction worker is 38 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of construction workers is White (52.9%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (27.7%), Black or African American (11.1%) and Unknown (4.0%).
- In 2021, women earned 94% of what men earned.
- 2% of all construction workers are LGBT.
- Construction workers are 89% more likely to work at private companies in comparison to public companies.