Contractors Assistance Association
To strengthen contracting, education, and employment opportunities among minorities and women in construction. CAA was reorganized from the 1970 -80’s Cleveland Contractors Association as a Construction Employers Association (CEA) affiliate in 2008. There are currently over 50 CEA contractors involved in diversity & inclusion efforts. CAA holds quarterly meetings and regular engagement with owners, general contractors, and primes to provide insights and further the opportunities for diversity and inclusion in local construction projects.
CAA celebrated it's 10th Anniversary in 2019.
- Shakorie Davis, Next Generation Construction - President
- Chelsea Maldonado, A. Maldonado & Associates - Vice President (Membership)
- Jackie Jacob, Great Lakes Construction - 1st Vice President (Events/Programs)
- Heather Baines, HR Construction Services - Secretary/Treasurer
CAA Committee Chairs
- Marcellus Byrd, R.L. Hill Construction - Contracting
- Orlando Taylor, Turner Construction - Education
- Adrian Maldonado, A. Maldonado & Associates - Employment
- Contracting - CAA developed and supports CEA's Mentor Protégé Program and works to continually improve the program standards and outcomes. Recent efforts include the development of a Pre-qualification program in conjunction with local construction management firms and general contractors, which serves as a self assessment and formation of action plan for small firms.
- Education - CAA formed and played an integral role in the development of the Contractor Success Series and the Construction Management Academy Program (CMAP), designed to promote diversity in the construction professional workforce by exposing underrepresented young men and women to industry before they make life-long career decisions. CMAP was then aligned with the ACE Mentor Cleveland program, working with Cleveland Metropolitan School District. Recently Contractor Night School has been developed to provide diverse contractor owners insights and tools to advance their business.
- Employment - CAA supports equal opportunity in construction and seeks to increase local residency employment and diversity in the construction workforce through collaboration with the construction trades, city and county governments, and community organizations. Current efforts include outreach for trade apprenticeships, career awareness presentations with schools/community organizations such as the Urban League-Cleveland, Northeast Ohio, El Barrio, Spanish American Committee, Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cuyahoga Community College, Hard Hatted Women and National Association of Women in Construction, and others.
CAA celebrated 10 Years of Strengthening Diversity & Inclusion in the Northeast Ohio Construction Industry in 2019.
CAA hosts regular business engagement opportunities such as Shark Tank event and CAA Exchanges (matchmakers with owners and general contractors)!